20091004

Legionographer Stacy Pearsall shares tips on a recent shoot.

Recently, I traveled over to the USS Yorktown for the Welcome Home 2009 celebration. I had a crack-team of interns who helped me immensely. Des'ola Gunter and Valerie Yermal helped set up stands, lights and back drop. They also helped me to organize all of the veteran's names and managed to get all of their model releases and contact information. It's a pretty big undertaking when you are shooting over 100 folks! FUN!
Anyway, we set up a white back drop and three SB-900 strobes. I chose not to use a soft box today because I wanted a really hard light. I was looking for a high contrast black and white and new straight strobe would give me the desired effect.

I used a Nikon D3 and Nikkor 70-200mm lens. I used a Justin Clamp on stand. The Justin Clamp has a hot-shoe, which I placed a Nikon SB-900 flash on. My camera was set on ISO 100 with an aperture of f-8 and shutter of 1/125. I had two strobes in the back on stands shooting at an angle toward the back of the subject's head. I didn't move those for the duration of the sitting. However, I moved my main strobe depending on the subject's face and expression.

I would like to thank the veterans for being great subjects today. I also want to thank theCharleston VA for inviting me to be a part of this wonderful event!

To see more portraits from the VA celebration click HERE.
-Stacy Pearsall






No comments:

Post a Comment