20091004

Legionographer Aaron Ansarov on USS San Jacinto (CG 56)

This weekend USS San Jacinto (CG 56) pulled into Savannah, Georgia for
liberty. The last time I was here was my very first port visit in the
Navy. Now here I was 16 years later and visiting my brother who is
stationed onboard. When we arrived, he was able to get permission to
show me and my family around. With little less than a half an hour,
armed with a D90, a 12-24 lens and 2 SB-800s, I decided to see how
many portraits I could shoot within the time on the tour. To me this
mini project isn't so much a challenge to myself, but a lesson and
challenge to others. Too many times I hear from sailors I mentor that
say, "There isn't anything to shoot," or "Nobody wanted to cooperate,"
or "I don't have the right equipment."

The best camera is the one that's with you. The best light to use is
the one that's in your hands. The best tactic to get people to open up
is to be confident and know your equipment.

Here are just four of the 12 portraits taken of sailors throughout the
ship.


No comments:

Post a Comment